The GFP list makes use of over 50 factors in our in-house formula to determine a given nation's Power Index ("PwrIndx") score. This provides the final ranking while also allowing smaller, more technologically-advanced, nations to compete with larger, lesser-developed ones. Some bonuses and penalties are added for refinement that, in the end, we hope presents an unbiased look into the potential conventional military strength of a world power.
Just some things to keep in mind about the finalized ranking:
• Nuclear capability is NOT taken into account
• Geographical factors influence the final ranking
• Ranking does not solely rely on total number of weapons available to any one country
• Natural resource reliance (use/production) is taken into account
• Land-locked nations are NOT penalized for lack of a standing navy
• Naval powers ARE penalized for limited naval capabilities
• Current economic health for each country is taken into account
• Current political / military leadership is NOT taken into account
As of 2/2/2016 there are a total of (126) countries included in the GFP database.
Sources: CIA.gov, CIA World Factbook, wikipedia.com, public domain print and media sources and user contributions. Some values may be estimated when official sources are lacking.